Windside Wind Turbines
Q: Can I power my home with one Windside wind turbine?
A: Windside turbines are designed for, built for and targeted firmly at the professional user market. The core of our business is based on small turbines charging battery banks that power small DC systems in remote and harsh environments. We are not pursuing the private residential market or a market where the buying criteria is based on ROI calculated against grid connected kWh price.
Q: What is the biggest turbine available?
A: The biggest Windside wind turbine is currently WS-12. It is 6 meter high and its diameter is 2 meters. WS-12 produces annually approx. 8600 kWh at the average wind speed of 5 m/s. Bigger turbines up to megawatt class can be manufactured but they are still in the design stage. (Windside is looking for financing to start manufacturing bigger classes)
Q: How strong wind can Windside wind turbines stand?
A: There are three different wind endurance categories.
- A models are guaranteed at constant wind speed of 60 m/s
- Bplus models are guaranteed at constant wind speed of 50 m/s.
- B models are guaranteed at constant wind speed of 40 m/s.
Q: What are the benefits of using Windside vertical axis wind turbines over using a conventional 2/3 blade-based turbine?
A: There are several benefits.
- Windside is totally soundless and doesn't cause vibration.
- Windside is designed for harsh, demanding environments (We have turbines around the world in very harsh conditions: Sahara desert, Antarctica, Siberia, Greenland etc. The results speak for themselves.)
- Long life-span
- Minimum need for maintenance (can be left as an autonomous unit to remote areas.)
- Safe for people and animals (do not kill birds).
- Low cut-in wind speed (starts producing power already at 2 m/s winds!).
- Our strongest model can withstand constant wind speed of 60 m/s.
Other models need to be stopped when the wind gets over 20 m/s. Our
models can be left rotating and they produce maximum power!
- Reliable. Many professionals around the world have relied on Windside's quality without compromise since 1982.
- Overall lifespan costs are significantly lower than for the propellers
Q: What does the product code WS-0,30B indicate?
A: WS means Windside, the number indicates the swept area of the turbine in m² and the alphabet indicates the wind endurance class.
WS-0,15B has a swept area of 0,15 square meters and is guaranteed at constant wind speed of 40 m/s.
WS-0,30Bplus has a swept area of 0,30 square meters and is guaranteed at constant wind speed of 50 m/s.
WS-2AK has a swept area of 2 square meters and is guaranteed at constant wind speed of 60 m/s.